[MPlayer-users] Largefile support for files > 4 GB?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Dec 21 02:01:03 CET 2002

Hi,

> Ive tried the following:
> -> mplayer without flags plays the first 1020 MB back
> -> switching from the directshow codec to the libdv
>    coded did not change anything
> -> cat file | mplayer - still plays the first 1020 MB back
> -> mplayer -forceidx gives me the first 4 GB
> -> mencoder -ovc ... -oac ... -forceidx ... converts the
>    first 4 GB
> -> cat file | mplayer -forceidx - plays to the first 1020 MB, too

-idx options doesn't work on stdin/pipes

> It looks like the playback beyond the 4 GB limit doesn't work. Maybe
> streaming it *could* help but I don't know how to do that.
> Or is it a largefile support probem? Up to which size does largefile
> work? Has anybody an idea what else I could try? Please let me know.

no, actually the .avi fileformat hs a 2GB limitation. actually it's 4GB,
as you have 32 bit numbers in the header (but some fields use the MSB for
flag). there are various unofficial extensions (ugly hacks) to extend this
limitation, OpenDML is one of them. mplayer doesn't support these yet.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team