[MPlayer-users] Largefile support for files > 4 GB?

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat Dec 21 02:17:14 CET 2002

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:00:40 +0100
Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Ive tried the following:
> > [...]
> > -> cat file | mplayer -forceidx - plays to the first 1020 MB, too
>
> -idx options doesn't work on stdin/pipes

Yeah I guessed so since it reads the whole file for it and pipes are
not seekable...

> > It looks like the playback beyond the 4 GB limit doesn't work. Maybe
> > streaming it *could* help but I don't know how to do that.
> > Or is it a largefile support probem? Up to which size does largefile
> > work? Has anybody an idea what else I could try? Please let me know.
>
> no, actually the .avi fileformat hs a 2GB limitation. actually it's 4GB,
> as you have 32 bit numbers in the header (but some fields use the MSB for
> flag). there are various unofficial extensions (ugly hacks) to extend this
> limitation, OpenDML is one of them. mplayer doesn't support these yet.

Thats a pity. Is there a posibility to get the video and audio streams
into mencoder? I don't need to seek in it I only want to convert it to
a avi < 2GB so the problem would not exist anymore, anyways...

Regards

Clemens