[MPlayer-users] Re: Question about "Frame too small!" error

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Sat Dec 21 04:51:02 CET 2002

Gabucino writes:
 ::
 :: Dean S. Messing wrote:
 :: > I notice that the .avi is found to be 8bpp.  I take it this means it's
 :: > monochrome.
 :: VGA standard cries in the corner... 8bpp (8 bit per pixel) is 256 colour!
 :: Anyway -vo x11 can't handle 8bpp (BUG!), use -vo sdl
 ::
 :: --
 :: Gabucino
 :: MPlayer Core Team

Sorry, I don't get what you mean by "VGA standard cries in the corner"

Yes 8bpp can mean 256 colours (e.g. 3 bits R, 3 bits G, 2 bits B)
but in many contexts it can also mean "monochrome" i.e. 256 grey levels.
I'm not sure about .avi files but most still image formats must provide
a Colour Lookup Table w/in the file if the 8 bits are to be interpreted
in any way other than "grey level".

Since this .avi is, in fact, monochrome, (i.e. greyscale), I am assuming
that this is what MPlayer is announcing when it writes

VIDEO:  []  522x256  8bpp  60.00 fps  64389.1 kbps (7860.0 kbyte/s)
                     ^^^^

Also, `-vo sdl' did not work.   I got the same "frame too small" errors.
All the same, thanks for trying to help me.  I do appreciate it.

Arpi's suggestion in: