[MPlayer-users] [Question] Why 2 channel ac3

Ed Fisher gleam at debacle.org
Thu Dec 26 23:49:02 CET 2002

I hate to break this to you, but those aren't "PROPER" rips.  The only
AMC releases I see are using mp3 audio, and AMC only released about 10
episodes in divx, compared to about 40 or 50 by other groups.  Like I
said, any group that reencoded to ac3 would have their releases nuked.

Heck, I don't even see any dvdrips from amc of babylon five -- all i see
are cabletv rips.

In any case, it doesn't matter - no release group worth their salt would
do 5.1->2ch ac3 downmixing.  If you have an example of someone doing
this, it deserves a nuke and a proper.

-gleam

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 04:41:01PM +0100, Robert R. Wal spake thus:
> On 02.12.26 Ed Fisher pressed the following keys:
>
> > Anyway, your entire email seems to be based on the premise that release
> > groups are downmixing 5.1ch ac3 to 2ch ac3 themselves, and that's
> > definitely not true.
>
> Can you imagine the sound that all those 350-AC3-AMC dvdrips make
> diseapearing from my HDD?
>
> I happen to own everything that was published on DVD from Stargate and
> Babylon 5. PAL releases of SG1 from season 3, 4 and 5 contain 5.1
> AC3 at 448 english tracks.
>
> s3 AMC is 224 5.1 -- the sound is shitty compared to the 5.1 448 from
>                      DVD even on my el cheapo 4+1 speakers
> s4 AMC is 224 3.1 -- ditto
> s5 AMC is 192 2.0 -- slightly better
>
> One could argue about SG1s5 that they used some other edition that
> actually had this 2.0 192kbps sound, but no legally sane publisher would
> release dvd with 5.1 or even 3.1 soundtrack with only 224kbps.
>
> As for Babylon 5, season 1 PAL has 384 5.1 sound. AMC release has 192
> 2.0. There was never, ever any release with 192 sound for sure, since
> this is the first DVD edition.
>
> But if you want to make ass of your mouth, please continue and tell me
> how wonderful the quality of the rips by release groups is.
>
> Robert
>
> --
> Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35

Knebel's Law:
	It is now proved beyond doubt that smoking is one of the leading
	causes of statistics.