[MPlayer-users] Best way to always scale+expand to 640x480?

Ed Fisher gleam at debacle.org
Sat Dec 28 01:18:02 CET 2002

Here's the issue:  I need to always be able to scale a movie, no matter
its resolution, to 640x480, but preserving its aspect ratio.  I don't
know the resolution or aspect ratio ahead of time, so I can't
intelligently pass the exact -vop expand=x:y,scale=x:y on the command
line.

I tried -vop expand=640:480,scale=640:-1 but that didn't work--it simply
retained the source movie's height, rather than automatically scale,
say, scale a 576x320 movie to 640x352 (and then the expand would stretch
it to 640x480).

I tried using -xy, but it seems to run the expand before it runs -xy,
regardless of what order I put it in.

That is, "mplayer -vop expand=640:480 -xy 640 file" and "mplayer -xy 640
-vop expand=640:480 file" both do the same thing - they expand to
640x480 without scaling at all.

So does anyone know of a way to do what I need?

As a side note, I also noticed that in mplayer (CVS 021227) -vo xv with
-vop expand gives me bright grey borders instead of black letterboxing
like I normally expect.  If i use -vo sdl and -forcexv, though, it looks
fine.  Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
gleam

--
Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
	-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet