[MPlayer-users] Best way to always scale+expand to 640x480?

Steffen Barszus st_barszus at gmx.de
Sat Dec 28 01:43:02 CET 2002

On Saturday 28 December 2002 01:16, Ed Fisher wrote:
> Here's the issue:  I need to always be able to scale a movie, no matter
> its resolution, to 640x480, but preserving its aspect ratio.  I don't
> know the resolution or aspect ratio ahead of time, so I can't
> intelligently pass the exact -vop expand=x:y,scale=x:y on the command
> line.
>
> I tried -vop expand=640:480,scale=640:-1 but that didn't work--it simply
> retained the source movie's height, rather than automatically scale,
> say, scale a 576x320 movie to 640x352 (and then the expand would stretch
> it to 640x480).

Hmm this should definitly  work, if I had understand the manpage correct. I
played too a lot with these options for dvb-output and svcd-encoding. I can
have a closer look if needed. AFAIR I had problems, and had to decide between
2 cases (if 640:-1 gives a bigger value than 480). I gave up after a time,
But I will write a little script for making svcd-compatible mpeg2-files with
mplayer as scaler, so maybe I can help you tommorow.
Maybe autoscaling for height do not work if there is no AR given ? (and AR is
not calculated for avi's from it's resolution ?

> So does anyone know of a way to do what I need?

Not really. If there is a solution, it would be great.

--
counter.li.org : #296567.