[MPlayer-users] DVD-video-stutters on RedHat 8

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Dec 28 19:57:03 CET 2002

On Saturday, 28 December 2002, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> This problem is not unique to mplayer (it happens with Ogle, too),
> but perhaps someone has experienced it and solved it.
>
> When I play a DVD, I see pauses in the ASCII counter output, and pauses
> in the video window, every time the DVD light comes on.
[...]
> Ironically, mplayer worked fine in the same situation when I had
> installed RedHat 7.3.  With RedHat 8.0, kabloooey!
>
> Here are my suspects:
>
>    IDE disk driver problem in 2.4.18 kernel (previous kernel was 2.4.7)
>
>    Latest nVidia GeForce 2 GO driver

Nope. Enabling DMA for CD/DVD drives on RH8 requires some voodoo magic. :>
This should help:
echo "options ide-cd dma=1" >> /etc/modules.conf

PS. This is mentioned in RH8 release notes (AFAIR). I guess nobody reads
them...

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/