[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Fri Feb 1 09:30:35 CET 2002

Hello, daniel!

On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 00:55:39 +1300 you wrote:

> Nick Kurshev wrote:

[snip]
> >This subj has one goal is to tell to everyone
> >that NVidia is not good solution for opensource systems (due unstability,
> >proprietarity of its software and many other negative factors).
> >
> It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
> I've had pleanty of X11 crashes using opensource drivers.  With the
> opensource drivers for i815 on my machine at work it crashes if i stay
> in a text console for more than 30 seconds.
> The binary drivers for my nvidia card are the most stable X11 driver
> i've ever used.  Way more stable than the opensource drivers for my
> previous S3 card.
>
> But i have no doubt that many people experience the complete opposite to
> me, running on buggy AMD Irongate AGP chipsets i hear about lots of
> crashes with NVIDIA.  Maybe my i815 grahpics chip just doesn't like the
> i815 motherboard chipset :p
Thanks you very much! Now I understand what causes all these problems.

GABUCINO! Please add into users_against_developers.html:

"NVidia works only with Intel's motherboards (due some AGP's patents limitations).
So if you have non Intel's cpus and want to use their products be prepare to sell
your computer first".

Well - I've tested it with VIA-266 chipsets and problems were there.
The same problems come from VIA MPV5 and other chipsets.
This means that K6-K7 owners should never purchase their products.
(I guess that Cyrix's owners too)