[MPlayer-users] per-frame seeking in AVI files

Lars Damerow lars at pixar.com
Wed Feb 6 00:05:02 CET 2002

Hello folks,

I'm Lars Damerow, a senior UNIX administrator at Pixar Animation Studios, and
I'm evaluating MPlayer for use by our animators.

I've read the docs and FAQ and know that single-frame seeking is something I
shouldn't ask about, but I'm going to ask about it anyway. :) I *won't* ask for
you guys to implement it for me, but the answer to the question said that it'd
been done before and then removed.

Is there a place where I can look at the old implementation?  Per-frame seeking
and current frame display is crucial for the animators, though, and I'd like to
try putting it back into our own branch of the source code. I'd need it only
for MJPEG-A AVI files; I know that per-frame seeking gets nasty for MPEG files.

Also, it was mentioned that the A-V sync was thrown off; was this true for AVI
files as well as MPEGs?

Thanks for the help (and the great video player!)
-lars

lars damerow
senor unix administrator
pixar animation studios
lars at pixar.com

"I am known by many names. Son of the Dark Prince, Child of Darkness. Some
call me the Altar Boy of Doom. Others will know me as the Second Coming of
Damnation.  My Mom calls me Pepito."