[MPlayer-users] dvdkey option

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Feb 12 16:50:02 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:35:09PM +0100, Samuel Maftoul wrote:
> I encountering performances problem for encoding probably due to my dvd
> reader + readahead / hdparms value / parameters.
> So I wanted to do a test :
> cp /dvd/one-of-the.vob  ~ ; mencoder one-of-the.vob -o my.avi
> This couldn't work as the content is CSSed.
> So I read the doc and found -dvdkey option.
> I tried mplayer -dvd 2 so it will pormpt me for the keys , the I copied
> the key and I did an :

Please. Read the dox! There are two totally different DVD support "layer"
inside MPlayer, and you shouldn't mix them! One is the "new-style" DVD
support, eg:

-dvd 2 (only directly from DVD disk)

MPlayer will issue authentication, title/disc key cracking etc, you shouldn't
use ANY -dvdkey option!

While, old-style DVD support requires mounted DVD disk (with new-style support,
you don't need this), and you must specify the exact VOB you want to play/
encode. For old-style support, you must use -dvdauth /dev/dvd (or whatever).
-dvdkey is ONLY for advanced users who want to play/encode a VOB file backuped
from a DVD to his harddisk before (for example).

I don't understand why would you like to copy VOBs first, then encode. You
can do it in one step.

> mencoder -dvdkey "0123456789"  one-of-the.vob -o my.avi
> This tells me the key is not the good one .
> Then I tried -dvdkey "01 23 45 67 89" but still didn't work

0123456789 is the correct key? It's format is OK, but it seemed to be an
example key only ;-)

> And I did a next try ( the last one ) with -dvdkey 0123456789 without
> double quotes but it also didn't done it .

Quotes are only for shell, they're nothing for the program.

> Is the feature broken ? Do I missed something ?
> Thanks in advance,

- Gábor