[MPlayer-users] dvdkey option

Samuel Maftoul maftoul at esrf.fr
Wed Feb 13 11:57:02 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:36:42PM +0100, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:35:09PM +0100, Samuel Maftoul wrote:
> > I encountering performances problem for encoding probably due to my dvd
> > reader + readahead / hdparms value / parameters.
> > So I wanted to do a test :
> > cp /dvd/one-of-the.vob  ~ ; mencoder one-of-the.vob -o my.avi
> > This couldn't work as the content is CSSed.
> > So I read the doc and found -dvdkey option.
> > I tried mplayer -dvd 2 so it will pormpt me for the keys , the I copied
                ^^^^^^^^<- Without any key !
> > the key and I did an :
>
> Please. Read the dox! There are two totally different DVD support "layer"
I read !
> inside MPlayer, and you shouldn't mix them! One is the "new-style" DVD
> support, eg:
>
> -dvd 2 (only directly from DVD disk)
>
> MPlayer will issue authentication, title/disc key cracking etc, you shouldn't
> use ANY -dvdkey option!
For reading from DVD right , I got it

> While, old-style DVD support requires mounted DVD disk (with new-style support,
> you don't need this), and you must specify the exact VOB you want to play/
> encode. For old-style support, you must use -dvdauth /dev/dvd (or whatever).
> -dvdkey is ONLY for advanced users who want to play/encode a VOB file backuped
> from a DVD to his harddisk before (for example).
That's exactly what I wanted to test !
cp /dvd/one-of-the.vob  ~ # does this , Right ?

> I don't understand why would you like to copy VOBs first, then encode. You
> can do it in one step.
Because my DVD reader is slow , and I wanted to test mencoder
performances, withoud DVD .
Then I'll check for readahead value , speed , /proc/ide/hdc/settings...
I already played a bit with this values , but didn't really much better
performances , I jumped from 6 frame to 9 , but top tells me It uses 40
% of my cpu and not more ( around 60% idle )

> > mencoder -dvdkey "0123456789"  one-of-the.vob -o my.avi
> > This tells me the key is not the good one .
> > Then I tried -dvdkey "01 23 45 67 89" but still didn't work
>
> 0123456789 is the correct key? It's format is OK, but it seemed to be an
> example key only ;-)
Yup :)

> > And I did a next try ( the last one ) with -dvdkey 0123456789 without
> > double quotes but it also didn't done it .
>
> Quotes are only for shell, they're nothing for the program.
Ok , argc and argv treats the arguments from the shell ? right ?
I'm just begining to learn C :)

> > Is the feature broken ? Do I missed something ?
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> - Gábor
        Sam