[MPlayer-users] dvdkey option

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Feb 13 12:44:01 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 11:43:18AM +0100, Samuel Maftoul wrote:
> > While, old-style DVD support requires mounted DVD disk (with new-style support,
> > you don't need this), and you must specify the exact VOB you want to play/
> > encode. For old-style support, you must use -dvdauth /dev/dvd (or whatever).
> > -dvdkey is ONLY for advanced users who want to play/encode a VOB file backuped
> > from a DVD to his harddisk before (for example).
> That's exactly what I wanted to test !
> cp /dvd/one-of-the.vob  ~ # does this , Right ?

Ahhha, I see.

> > I don't understand why would you like to copy VOBs first, then encode. You
> > can do it in one step.
> Because my DVD reader is slow , and I wanted to test mencoder
> performances, withoud DVD.
> Then I'll check for readahead value , speed , /proc/ide/hdc/settings...
> I already played a bit with this values , but didn't really much better
> performances , I jumped from 6 frame to 9 , but top tells me It uses 40
> % of my cpu and not more ( around 60% idle )

So, please play the file from the DVD, like:
1. mplayer -dvdauth /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd/video_ts/some.vob
2. then exit from player
3. memorize the DVD key (from output of mplayer)
4. copy VOB
5. play it from hdd with the dvd key you've memorized, ie:
mplayer -dvdkey 0102030405 ~/mycopied.vob

Of course use the correct key ;-)

> > Quotes are only for shell, they're nothing for the program.
> Ok , argc and argv treats the arguments from the shell ? right ?
> I'm just begining to learn C :)

Shell will strip quotes, it can be used only for example avoid shell to
interpret parameter as regexp or something similar. The program will be
called without any quotes in params.

- Gábor