[MPlayer-users] audio output is broken on powerpc

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Feb 12 17:46:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> It might be best to forget the patch and start talking about the output
> of `-ao pcm' when `-ao pcm' is fixed (it sleeps too much,
> video drops from smooth (-ao null) to 2 frames/sec (-ao pcm)).
> `-ao pcm' would be a much better debugging tool than personal
> patches like mine.

hmm. try the secret undocumented audio-only of "feature" mplayer:
change int has_video=1; to =0; in mplayer.c
and try -ao pcm then. maybe works, maybe not, i didn't tried.

anyway -ao pcm doesn't work because it doesn't provide any timers, but the
a-v sync layer depends on that. (the big long sleeping happens in a-v sycn
layer, it waits for audio card to reach video but as there is no card it
will never reach and only some timeout helps -> 0.3fps)
afaik it never worked, just like -ao null, but -ao null was recently fixed
(it emulates a dummy card with timer) and now works.

> Or maybe a compiler error?  I use debian potato's
> 	gcc version 2.95.2 20000220
there are few known bugs in 2.95.2, but they are workarounded in mplayer
(at least ones we know)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team