[MPlayer-users] MEncoder Questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Feb 14 20:59:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> > I'm thinking about mpeg 1/2 support (but not yet done)
> > anyway we have no mpeg2 encoder yet.
> > and i also need to find some good docs about vcd/svcd format, especially t
> he
> > right packet sizes and packet header formating. i can only make mpeg PES
>
> Is that in the CVS? Which options must be used? I want to rip DVDs to PES fo
> r my VDR-Server?

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes can do that, for DVB support
if you compile mplayer with ./configure --disable-dvb it will write mpeg to
file instead of the DVB card. anyway it's a ahck, as no bitrate control and
such things, but keep in mind, it was not the goal.

when i know enough to be able to write proper PS files instead of PES, i'll
implement mpeg muxer into mencoder.

> > files right now, i don't know the details of PS headers and other funny
> > fields and padding stuff there.
>
> If you mean fields and padding by Telecine machines look at DivX.com. They h
> ave a nice description.
no, i mean padding packets and other bit-level stuff in mpeg-ps files
(demuxer layer) nothing with fields or telecine (codec level)

> > do someone know/have an mpeg pes2ps converter/remuxer ?
>
> The DVB driver by the Metzler Bros. has a ps2pes-proggie, but no pes2ps. But
>  maybe they can give you some hint ...
> The mplextools included in the DVB driver should be able to convert DVB-PES-
> streams to VOB. But the DVD-Soft-Players didn't rock
> when I tested it.
>
> Another question - maybe I didn't see when scanning RTFM from time to time -
>  but is mplayer/mencoder capable to play/rip progressive
> frames from DVD?
this maillist is mostly about this topic nowdays... anyway rtfm

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team