[MPlayer-users] MEncoder Questions

charlie Charles-henri.Collin at emi.u-bordeaux.fr
Fri Feb 15 10:07:02 CET 2002

SycOtiC Smith wrote:

> >Another thing I need help on, is how to create an SVCD/XVCD from a DVD
> >using mencoder. (Im fairly new to encoding video and Im not quite sure
> >about formats/codecs to use, etc.)
>
> Unfortunately at this time MEncoder does not encode to the proper format for (S)VCD's.  VCD format
> is usually MPEG1 stream, SVCD is MPEG2.  Currently MEncoder only creates AVI files, which of course
> can have MPEG1/2 streams...
>
> If this has changed, someone let me know.  TFM still says only AVI.
>
> /S. Smith

For those really willing to make VCDs, it might be possible but takes
quite a while, but if you're not too impatient, here is a solution:
	1) get ffmpeg (the tarball contains the library libavcodec + several
programs, among which ffmpeg ;-)
	2) encode in divx with mencoder (be carefull of height and width: read
VCD specifications you might find on the web ;-)
	3) ffmpeg this divx to mpeg1 (yes, no mpeg2 yet :(
	4) use GNU VCDimager to build a VCD image from your fresh mpeg PS file
	5) burn it to a cd w/ cdrdao

the whole process takes a while, you might wanna write a lil script to
do it for you and go to bed.
I personnaly succeeded in ripping "Mafia Blues" to 2 VCDs and i cant
complain, the result is quite satisfying.

Good luck ;-)
--
Eight Megabytes Always Continuously Swapping