[MPlayer-users] new option -xinerama

Brian J. Murrell ab3effd258cabfcad1ac0cbc065cfbe5 at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Feb 15 00:52:45 CET 2002

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:19:59PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> Hi Brian J. Murrell,

Hello,

> Imho you missed the question.

I don't think so.

> He talked about multihead in non xinerama mode

_Only_ because in Xinerama mode his windows open up straddling the two
monitors.  If his windows opened centered on one monitor or the other,
I would guess he would not have a problem with Xinerama and would use
it.

> (xinerama is one display on more than one head and non-xinerama is one display
> pre head) and controlling from a console.

Uhm, yes.  I know.  I have one sitting right here in front of me:

$ xdpyinfo
name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Mandrake Linux (XFree86 4.2.0, patch level 2mdk)
vendor release number:    40200000
XFree86 version: 4.2.0
[ ... ]
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    2880x1200 pixels (653x272 millimeters)
[...]

I certainly don't have a single monitor of those dimensions.  :-)

> But it's possible to have an X app wich use one display for some windows and
> another for some other windows, if it's coded for.

Perhaps, but Xinerama with some (Xinerama-)intelligent window
placement in the window manager would be nicer.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell