[MPlayer-users] new option -xinerama

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Thu Feb 14 23:35:08 CET 2002

Hi Brian J. Murrell,

on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:43:16 -0500 you wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:09:53PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> > Hi Tom Bednarchuk,
> >
> > on Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:29:43 -0500 you wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to be able to play video on display0 and control it from the console on display1. Possible ?
                                                                                                                  ^^^^^^ not GUI
> > Yes, in this config you have two X server (for exemple :0.0 and :0.1) use the display
> > option or change your $DISPLAY to the target display.
>
> You missed reading the question completely.  He wants the gui on one
> screen and the actual movie to play on the other screen.  This is not
> easy to do.  Once an application is "attached" to a display, it is
> difficult to move it to another display becase (from what I
> understand) all of the resources of the application are "tied" to the
> display it started on.
>
> What the user really wants is a Xinerama-aware window manager.
Imho you missed the question. He talked about multihead in non xinerama mode
(xinerama is one display on more than one head and non-xinerama is one display
pre head) and controlling from a console.
But it's possible to have an X app wich use one display for some windows and
another for some other windows, if it's coded for.
	Albeu