[MPlayer-users] Is G400's vsync capability better than Radeon's?

Brian J. Murrell b45e7450cd8cb39fffd4cbacc748cc8c at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Feb 26 23:23:02 CET 2002

I got the impression from a message Nick wrote over in the dev-eng
mailing list that the Radeon vsync implementation in Mplayer is
somehow inferior to the G400 implementation.  Is this true?

About the only difference I could think of that could make one better
than the other is that one is asyncronous and the other isn't.

Perhaps with the Radeon, mplayer has to "sit and wait" for vsync
signal from the video card and load the new buffer into display
memory itself at that time whereas with the g400 mplayer can "queue"
up the buffer and the video card will take care of switching it into
the viewable display space on vsync.

Is one better than the other?  Should I take that Radeon out and put
that g400 back into my PVR?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell