[MPlayer-users] radeonfb and -vo fbdev hanging machine

Brian J. Murrell 0e358f50a455791eb70371339ae6f529 at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Jan 5 19:59:02 CET 2002

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 11:57:34AM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> Hello, Brian!

Hi Nick.

> > At least the fb has a port of the gtk+ toolkit.
> DirectFB

Actually I think there is one for regular ol' framebuffers too.

> GUI is not compatible with fullscreen plugins: fbdev, mga, vesa
> simply because that they are non colorkey ones and there impossible
> to implement OVERLAYed (by windows) video output.

Hmmmm.  Maybe as I get more understanding of all of this video stuff I
will understand what you are trying to tell me.

> Framebuffer like a VESA - stupid thing which doesn't use HW acceleration.

Even with something like radeon_vid installed?  So if I use fbdev I
will not get the HW acceleration that I will with
vesa:lvo:/dev/radeon_vid?

> (Maybe in Linux-2.6 when there will be implemented some video extensions
> for framebuffers).

Would be nice huh?  :-)

> -fs options doesn't work there simpy because nobody implement SWScaling
> in this vo_driver.

Meaning there is no fullscreen (scaled) support of any kind with
fbdev, especially not hardware scaled?

> I'm watching DVD on radeonfb through -vo fbdev (I have 800x600 at 32 mode)
> and have no problem with my radeonfb.

Really?  Is it scaled to the full 800x600 resolution?

> I use such script:
> #!/bin/sh
> fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -xres 800 -yres 600 -depth 32 -vxres 800 -vyres 600 -left 80 -right 0 -upper 20 -lower 0 -laced false -pixclock 30512

This modeline gives me much better results than I have had with fbdev
so far.  I get unscaled output (i.e. played at it's recorded
resolution) and the colors are *mostly* correct.

I say mostly because there are areas that are discolored.  Like a
green area replacing a particular skin tone while the rest are fine,
or some colors in the sky scenes, etc.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell