[MPlayer-users] radeonfb and -vo fbdev hanging machine

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Jan 5 10:04:01 CET 2002

Hello, Brian!

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 05:46:12 -0500 you wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:22:34PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> >
> > Hello, Brian!
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > RTFM. Arpi uses other keys for that
>
> It's moot anyway as that mode will be difficult to extend with a GUI.
Ask Arpi but not me - he is original author of vo_mga.
Mplayer's documentation documents -screenwidth, -screenheight keys for that
but vo_mga uses -x, -y for that (which were introduced as user defined prescaling).
> At least the fb has a port of the gtk+ toolkit.
DirectFB

> > It wasn't introduced for gui.
>
> No, of course not, but I realize that.  However, that doesn't mean
> that using fbdev is not a good idea if you want to be able to write a
> gui app.

GUI is not compatible with fullscreen plugins: fbdev, mga, vesa
simply because that they are non colorkey ones and there impossible
to implement OVERLAYed (by windows) video output.
> > Just try it.
>
> Well, I have.  I explained what happened when I did.  I got three
> images across the framebuffer, all from the file I want to play, one
> each in a different color and "interlaced".  Now I am looking for
> hints as to why.  The DOCS don't really say that much about fbdev.  It
> does say "-fs option isn't supported" but does that imply that no,
> there is no hardware scaling to the resolution of the framebuffer?

Framebuffer like a VESA - stupid thing which doesn't use HW acceleration.
(Maybe in Linux-2.6 when there will be implemented some video extensions
for framebuffers).
-fs options doesn't work there simpy because nobody implement SWScaling
in this vo_driver.

> If yes, there is no (hardware) scaling when using fbdev then I need to
> dig up 320x240 fbdev modeline somewhere.  320x240 is going to suck
> for making a GUI that will have text display.

I'm watching DVD on radeonfb through -vo fbdev (I have 800x600 at 32 mode)
and have no problem with my radeonfb.
I use such script:
#!/bin/sh
fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -xres 800 -yres 600 -depth 32 -vxres 800 -vyres 600 -left 80 -right 0 -upper 20 -lower 0 -laced false -pixclock 30512