[MPlayer-users] Odd behaviour

Peter Surda shurdeek at panorama.sth.ac.at
Mon Jan 28 00:47:02 CET 2002

Hi guys!

I have encountered a very strange problem. When I watch videos with avifile, X
eats too much CPU (up to 25%). I thought this was because DMA wasn't working,
but it IS working.

What's strange, when watching the SAME file with mplayer (either with -vo xv
or -vo sdl:x11), X only eats about 1%. And when watching a DVD with gvlc
(which is even more data per second), X eats even less, like 0.3%.

I tried disabling dri, but that only worsens the problem: gvlc -> X eats 30%,
aviplay -> X eats 50%.

I thought it was a problem with SDL so I upgraded to 1.2.2 and recompiled
avifile (I'm using the 20011220 snapshot), with no change.

So I dug deeper. It seems that calling SDL_DisplayYUVOverlay is causing this
(if I comment it in renderer.cpp, X eats 0% but of course nothing gets
displayed). But mplayer ALSO calls it and X is behaving normally. I'm
completely puzzled. I tried current CVS aviplay as well, situation unchanged.

Could it perhaps be the O(1) scheduler? I don't wanna reboot to older kernel,
I need my box up...

I have a 2.4.18-pre4+O(1)+preempt, RH 7.1, duron 900, ATI AIW 128, XF86
4.1.99.1, current CVS gatos and gatos' drm. mtrr is on.

WTF is happening?

Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek at panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.