[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-0.60 and css support

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Jan 29 08:40:02 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:26:48AM +0100, Manuel Clos wrote:
> Arpi wrote:
>
> >hey.
> >either you or we are silly.
> >why do you need raw DVD support to playback an .mpg file????????
> >dvdread is for .ifo parsing and navigatin in raw dvd sectors.
> >we really don't understand how is it related to .mpg file playback.
>
> I download the .mpg file from internet. It maybe is in SVCD format. The
> only way to play it on windows is using windvd.
>
> When I first tried with mplayer it didn't worked (bad image and sound).
> I tried installing libdvdread + libdvdcss because of cd-dvd.html,
> then I tried installing libcss, I have also tried divx4, but I have
> still no luck.
>
> When using gmplayer it says it is a .VOB file and that mplayer needs to
> be compiled with libcss support. I tried that, but it seems that mplayer
> does not link againts libcss (as ldd reports).

Why are you surprised? There's two kind of DVD support in MPlayer.

1. libdvdread (aka the new one hacked into mplayer mainly by Arpi afaik)
libdvdread has support to parse IFO files and such, you don't need mount
your DVD either. But libdvdread is for playing a disc imho it's quite useless
to play a single file. libdvdread loads libcss/libdvdcss ON DEMAND so ldd
won't show it ... It's a run time shared library loading mechanism done by
dlopen() and its friends, afaik

2. libcss (aka the old one, hacked into mplayer by me)
This is for playing a SINGLE vob stream with doing disc/title key authentication.
Earlier it was statically linked (I mean libcss) into MPlayer, however it
would have been conflicted with libdvdread so it was your task to decide if
you want old/new support but NOT both of them. However some weeks ago I hacked
libcss support to use dynamic loading as well. So you can compile in (and use)
both of the two DVD support methods, however of course ldd won't show libcss
anymore since it loads libcss on run-time (dlopen/dlsym again).

I hope this brief description would help to realize the truth (well: there's
no spoon, you know) about ldd and DVD support in MPlayer ;-)

- Gábor