[MPlayer-users] -ao pcm and named fifos

Marcus Lundblad ml at update.uu.se
Thu Jul 11 10:04:02 CEST 2002

I tried to create a fifo called audiodump.wav (using mkfifo)
And then cat from this fifo to mp2enc.
But then mp2enc complains about there is not a RIFF header in the file.
It works when running mplayer -ao pcm as usually (to let it create a file)
and then run mp2enc on the resulting file (mp2enc -o ... < audiodump.wav)

This same approach (using a fifo) works for encoding video to mpeg2
By doing "cat stream.yuv | yuvscaler ... | mpeg2enc -o ... ...
And then "mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg -noframedrop file.avi"

I was thinking about using 3 fifos to run directly from Divx to mpeg2
using mpeg2enc, mp2enc and mplex (from mjepegtools)
And also optionally feed this to vcdimager to create SVCD images.

But the problem is with this audio stuff. If I just cat from the fifo
audiodump.wav and then run mplayer, I can see data like
"ÿÿÿÿÿ" mostly (1's) coming out and then come a wav header (RIFF... and so
on)...

Anyone has any idea of what goes wrong here?

//Marcus