[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-users] ASF patenting ?

Alejandro Néstor Vargas anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar
Tue Jul 16 00:00:22 CEST 2002

Clemens Wächter dijo:
> So we can't argue logically. The only thing we could really claim in
> court in the asf->avi case is that mencoder is a collection of sources,
> not a full executable program, as written in the docs. But then we have
> to stop creating .rpm distributions.
>
> So what the community badly needs are free lawyers or protection by the
> govournment. But it doesn't seem that there will be any of these in the
> near future.

May be the momento to make a presentation in the government asking for
laws protecting the honest free developement against disloyal competence
from powerfull enterprises.

In my country (and others) there are projects of laws for obbligating all
government offices and dependences to use only open source software due
to various reasons, but more important are security (code can be inspected)
and continuation on the time (imaginate if the word processor used for
writingthe old documents is no longer available and the format can't be red in the
future)

--
Alejandro Néstor Vargas
anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar