[MPlayer-users] Closed Captions: advice needed

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Fri Jul 19 18:17:02 CEST 2002

On 02.07.19 Zdik Kudrle pressed the following keys:

> > I have one movie that I don't want to see anymore that contains CC. And
> > a good one, I'd say. It's Stanley Kubrick's ,,Full Metal Jacket''.
> You don't want to see it anymore?!? Kubrick?!? Well - It had to be one
> trippy night to decide that it will mash your brain if you see it again
> :-)))

Well, I liked it very much in my late teens. And then I went to
mandatory military service and found out that in late eighties/early
nineties in Poland it sometimes wasn't much different than first part
of the movie.

In 2000 I bought it on Amazon only to find out after first 20 minutes
that I don't want to see it any more. So it was gathering dust on my
DVD shelf ever since, not watched even once.

> (BTW: funny thing about Czech translation of the title - they translated
> it as 'Olovena Vesta' which means 'Lead Jacket'. But actually it makes
> nosense, because Full Metal Jacket is actually an guns'n'ammo term :-)

Slavic translations of movies and their titles are something
unbelievable ;) It is just the same in Poland too. And a friend of mine
that used to study in Leningrad (Russia) told something even better.
,,Blade Runner'' title was translated as ,,Running on the Razor'' ;)

That's why I like DVD so much, most of the time I don't even use Polish
subtitles. Only when the accent of the actors is too weird I use English
subs.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35