[MPlayer-users] Closed Captions: advice needed

Haas Wernfried amnenion at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 19 18:34:01 CEST 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 06:03:52PM +0200, Robert R. Wal wrote:
> > (BTW: funny thing about Czech translation of the title - they translated
> > it as 'Olovena Vesta' which means 'Lead Jacket'. But actually it makes
> > nosense, because Full Metal Jacket is actually an guns'n'ammo term :-)
>
> Slavic translations of movies and their titles are something
> unbelievable ;) It is just the same in Poland too. And a friend of mine
> that used to study in Leningrad (Russia) told something even better.
> ,,Blade Runner'' title was translated as ,,Running on the Razor'' ;)

i think it's not only a problem of slavic languages, but of most
translations. translating movie titles must be a great job, you surely
get paid a lot for translating stuff wrong ;)

> That's why I like DVD so much, most of the time I don't even use Polish
> subtitles. Only when the accent of the actors is too weird I use English
> subs.
yeah, i usually don't use polish subtitles, too. neither german ;)

regards
	wernfried

-> Wernfried Haas - w.haas at xover.mud.at / amnenion at xover.mud.at
-> Homepage: http://xover.mud.at/~amnenion