[MPlayer-users] A quick mencoder, divx, libavcodec question

Navid Khalili navid at ac.housing.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 21 22:51:10 CEST 2002

Hi all,

	I have a quick question and I was wondering if you could help me
out.

	I am currently backing up my DVDs as well as some mpg files I had
earlier archived to save some space.  I am using mencoder with Linux RH
7.3, i'm using the rpms provided by mplayer's web site.

	When I compress the mpg files previously mentioned, they play fine
with divx 5 decoder on windows (windows media player) as well as mplayer
itself.

	However, when I backup my DVDs, I cannot play the resulting files
on windows, using windows media player with the divx 5.02 codec (mplayer
on linux works fine).  Instead of playing the file, windows media player
thinks the file is only an audio file, then proceeds to use 99% of the cpu
and fail.  If I use the divx playa, the file will play but I cannot
forward seek the file as the playa will then crash as well.  to backup my
DVDs I use:

rm -f frameno.avi lavc_stats.txt

mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac
mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128 -alang en -

mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=678:vhq:vpass=1 -oac copy -o $2

mencoder -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/cdrom -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=678:vhq:vpass=2 -oac copy -o $2

 (678 is the suggested bitrate by mencoder after the first audio pass...)

	My main goal here is to be able to encode divx movies that I can
play on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS (im most likely to give up on the Mac,
but definitely need the other two...).  I would like to use windows media
player on the windows side rather than compile mplayer for windows.  As
far as I can read, mencoder with libavcodec can achieve this...what am I
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Navid