[MPlayer-users] Re: best encoder ?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 23 07:30:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:41:06PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> In my opinion, a while ago DivX5 provided the "best" quality (whatever
> that is) for medium-to-low bitrates (confined to a 700MB CD), but it
> seems like XviD has made a great progress lately.
> If i were after quality for normal DivX encoding (watching movies at
> home), generally i wouldn't choose libavcodec.

Umm, try modifying the rate control settings. The defaults in mencoder
are horrid. vqcomp=0.7 is a good place to start. I'll assume you're
already using vhq and vqmin=2, otherwise this is nonsense entirely.
vcelim and vlelim are also a good idea, unless perhaps you're going
for max quality at very high bitrates. vrc_strategy=1 seems to be
better than 2 but it will be replaced soon anyway. vqblur would also
be worth experimenting with.

Rich