[MPlayer-users] Re: best encoder ?

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Tue Jul 23 09:22:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:41:06PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:

> In my opinion, a while ago DivX5 provided the "best" quality (whatever
> that is) for medium-to-low bitrates (confined to a 700MB CD), but it
> seems like XviD has made a great progress lately.
> If i were after quality for normal DivX encoding (watching movies at
> home), generally i wouldn't choose libavcodec.

I've seen lots and lots of DivX made with various codecs. Properly
tunned libavcodec wins hands down against DivX 4.x on 1CD or 2CD
movies. Against DivX 5.x the result isn't that clear, but I've seen
too many very badly encoded DivX 5 movies to trust it (maybe the
defaults aren't that great, just like with mencoder), beeing on 1CD
or 2.
The best encoded movies I've seen are made by someone calling himself
"sequence", who is still using DivX 3 + Gordian Knot + Nandub +
probably some other stuff. The image is a bit blurry but there's
absolutely *no* artifacts (ringing, 'blockiness' in dark areas while
in a fast-motion scene, aliasing etc..) at all.

--
Rémi