[MPlayer-users] tool to test cropping

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jul 25 17:25:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > also, RTFM about -vop cropdetect, it may do the job for you
> > automagically...
>
> I did RTFM ;) and that won't do. DVDs sometimes have some distorted areas
> near the black borders[1] or near the edge[2] that will stay after
> cropdetect. They are not visible when watching movie on TV because they
> usually end up outside of the visible area of tv screen.

cropdetect has an optioval parameter to set sensitivity, it's very low by
default (so it expects super-black bands). by setting it higher it will
include the transition area too.

> This is a distortion, and quite hard to compress so leaving them on the
> movie is just a waste of bandwith. That's why I usually try to get rid
> of it.
>
> Robert
>
> [1] resulting from complexity of encoding black border/image area
> [2] resulting from some optical effect during transfer

so, what you want is a filter not doing the cropping just showing the crop
boundaries in form of lines? easy to implement...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team