[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and WindowMaker; Linux Media Boxes

Alan Murrell silkbc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 20:00:02 CEST 2002

> There is anybody interested/engaged in a project of
> a "Linux Media Box"...

Take a look on SourceForge... there are lots of
projects.  One that I am looking at, and using now is
Freevo (http://www.sf.net/projects/freevo>), which
uses MPlayer for video/TV watching.  It also plays
MP3's (via mpg123 or mpg321), allows you to view
pictures, plays movies off of your hard drive, CD's
(VCD, SVCD, DivX, etc.), and DVD's.  There's even a
program guide, which uses XMLTV.  Recording support
isn't built in yet, but you can manually record shows
(or schedule them to be recorded) with any of the
various recording tools out there (mp1e, mjpegtools,
NUVrec, ffmpeg, etc.) until that support *is* built
in.

Note: I am not one of the developers of the Freevo
project; just an enthusiastic user.  There are many
other similar projects out there (mostly on
SourceForge or Freshmeat), and you are by all means
encouraged to look at them all, and choose the one you
feel meets your needs the best.

My current setup is a 750MHz AMD Duron, 192MB RAM,
built-in sound & NIC, Matrox Marvel G400-TV card, 2
hard drives (2GB for the Linux system, 55GB for my
multimedia files).  The G400 has  a "breakout box"
which has a hardware MJPEG encoder/decoder in it, so
when it does hardware MJPEG encoding, the load on the
system is actaully quite low 10% CPU load, when
recording at full frame size and rate, 3-4% when
recording at 1/2).

Unfortunately, I've been having some issues with sound
recording (a lot of buffer ring overflows), so I'm
currently trying to resolve those issues, so my box
isn't *completely* working just yet.

HTH,

=====
--