[MPlayer-users] Processor Speed Requirements

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jul 29 22:32:14 CEST 2002

Hi,

> My name is Sriprabha. I would like to know the minimum processor speed
> requirements for playing VCD (MPEG 1) movies using MPlayer with an
> optimized performance.
> We are using the following:
> Processor: Cyrix MediaGX with MMX 1 support
> Processor Speed: 233MHz
> Linux: Redhat 7.1
> Xfree86 Version 3.3.3.1 (4.x version did not work out well)
uh, it's old like my grandma...

> We tried Mplayer and and it seemed to be too slow. With framedrop option
> and/or fullscreen option, the smoothness was highly reduced.
> Please let me know your suggestions regarding the minimum processor speed
> requirements as far as MPlayer is concerned.

233mhz is more than enough, at first look.
but i've experienced and heard that cyrix cpus are very poor
quality/performance compared to intel/amd with same mhz.

so, try to replace it with intel 166mmx or better, and the most important:
use a vga card supported by xfree 4.x, or mplayer's native drivers
it does matter more than cpu speed...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team