[MPlayer-users] thinking about mpeg4 licence etc.

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Sat Jun 1 16:08:01 CEST 2002

hi,

i wanted to ask a long time ago , but i forgot somehow :-)

... there were news on slashdot and other places ( like maccentral )
about that the mpeg alliance ( or commitee or what's their name ) plans
to license mpeg4 in the following way: mpeg4 wants 0.25$ pro
encoder/decoder + 0.02$/hour for mpeg4 content.

i thought that it's none of my concern because i always used divx..

but then i've found out that divx is basically mpeg4...

now that means that if we'll have to pay for mpeg4, we'll have to pay
for divx too?

thanks,
gabor