[MPlayer-users] thinking about mpeg4 licence etc.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jun 1 17:28:01 CEST 2002

Hi

On Saturday 01 June 2002 21:47, gabor wrote:
> hi,
>
> i wanted to ask a long time ago , but i forgot somehow :-)
>
> ... there were news on slashdot and other places ( like maccentral )
> about that the mpeg alliance ( or commitee or what's their name ) plans
> to license mpeg4 in the following way: mpeg4 wants 0.25$ pro
> encoder/decoder + 0.02$/hour for mpeg4 content.
>
> i thought that it's none of my concern because i always used divx..
>
> but then i've found out that divx is basically mpeg4...
>
> now that means that if we'll have to pay for mpeg4, we'll have to pay
> for divx too?
yes
divx4 / divx5 are mpeg4 implementations so they certainly fall under the
mpeg4 patents
divx3 == msmpeg4v3 is a modified mpeg4/h263 variant with most advanced
features removed, some vlc tables are allso different some are identical,
IMHO/IANAL divx3==msmpeg4v3 is allso very likely covered by the mpeg4 patents

[...]

Michael