[MPlayer-users] ANNOUNCE: realvideo G2/v8 (rv20/rv30) support

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Mon Jun 10 05:44:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 07:59:27PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> someone who knows law should read their license and commen on this.
> (win32 dlls are different, they are freely available from m$ and other
> places, including license which allows redistribution...)
Hmm... Really? I always thought that licenses provided w/ such codec libs
strictly prohibits any reverse engineering, binary patching and
blah-blah-blah, so, strictly speaking codecs on mplayerhq.hu are
illegal...

No, I don't want to say you should remove it immediately, but probably
there's a legal problem here... The similar problem is w/ fonts, TrueTypes
that can be downloaded from MS Web typography (one can't re-distribute
it in 'raw' form w/o installer etc etc) and those generated from MS TTFs
for MPlayer's subtitles by TOOLS/subfont-c/...