[MPlayer-users] ANNOUNCE: realvideo G2/v8 (rv20/rv30) support

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jun 10 12:55:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > someone who knows law should read their license and commen on this.
> > (win32 dlls are different, they are freely available from m$ and other
> > places, including license which allows redistribution...)
> Hmm... Really? I always thought that licenses provided w/ such codec libs
> strictly prohibits any reverse engineering, binary patching and
> blah-blah-blah, so, strictly speaking codecs on mplayerhq.hu are
> illegal...
>
> No, I don't want to say you should remove it immediately, but probably
i'm not a lawyer, but teh avifile guys discussed this topic very long, about
a year ago, and get the result of it's somehow legal.
note that you can get the win32 codecs from m$ without having to accept
any license.

> there's a legal problem here... The similar problem is w/ fonts, TrueTypes
> that can be downloaded from MS Web typography (one can't re-distribute
> it in 'raw' form w/o installer etc etc) and those generated from MS TTFs
> for MPlayer's subtitles by TOOLS/subfont-c/...

if it would be true, then any .png image containing any text drawn under
windoze would be illegal thing...
even, if you print something with a bitmap printer under windoze, you
redistribute the font :)

anyway, the first mplayer font files were 'hand-made' using photoshop
under windows... i don't think it's illegal to use such png images later
for any use...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team