Fw: Re: [MPlayer-users] Distribution Poll (was Re: Want Less Attitude?)

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Jun 14 21:16:01 CEST 2002

On Friday, 14 June 2002, Markus Kalb wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:55:23 +0200
> Dominik Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> wrote:
> > Good idea. Although I've had reports of my RedHat RPMs working on
> > Mandrake, but it would be better to have MDK-specific packages (i.e.
> > compiled with whatever good gcc is available for MDK, with specific
>
> the problem at the moment with mdk and mplayer is that the standart
> gcc on mdk 8.2 is still the 2   9 6 version  and i had to install some
> libs

I'm sure there is some gcc3 package for MDK.

> when i tried to compile the mplayer src package and even then it was a
> pain in the ... to get it working, so now im doing "configure" again.

Well, what did you expect? After all it was crafted specifically for RH7.x.
Source RPMs are there for those who want them and know what to do with
them.

> Any rpm guru out there who could tell me something about changing the
> reguires part of the rpm.spec files ? Mandrake is still using a other
> naming system for some libs and so even as the libs are installed on
> the system the redhat based rpm.spec is still on strike and will not
> compile.

Yes, BuildRequires: are RH-specific, but it's necessary to ensure
that the builder has all the necessary packages installed.

--
MPlayer RPMs: http://msp-190.man.olsztyn.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <rathann(at)rangers.eu.org>