[MPlayer-users] DVD trident fb

Brian bstephe1 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 16 09:23:01 CEST 2002

Hi

>> hi.. i have this board too (the ~ 500mhz one not the 800) and while i
>> havent gotten around to loading any os on it yet i might have some
>> insight. the cpu is a via c3 (cyrixIII) processor, i think gcc3 has its
>> own optimizations for it. and while i dont know a whole lot about video
>> output, the board has a trident video chipset which i think only has 2d
>> accelleration through a recently released xfree driver...? i remember a
>> big deal about trident not releasing linux drivers but someone finally got
>> them to agree to an NDA to view the specs... http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/

I'm new to video output as well, there is acceleration in X through xv for the
trident cyberblade although get a better framerate with dga (12 vs 16fps).
I do have the datasheet for northbridge (intergrated VGA), there is a fair
amount of video hardware including Motion Compensation, YUV ect.

The thing is, powerDVD can do DVD without acceleration, pretty good
trick. I do have a lot of other things to do before I get too involved in
DVD and video but it is a challenge, once I have Linux emdedded on
the board I might have a look at fully accelerating the framebuffer with
video hardware and refresh blanking in tridentfb module, I'll need some
switched on video guys to help though, mpeg decoding is mumbo jumbo
to me.

Brian