[MPlayer-users] xine and sorenson

Albino AlbinoNets at netscape.net
Mon Jun 24 15:11:02 CEST 2002

Hi, good words gabor,
but we need facts (we must fight): copyright, licencing , closed sounce
etc... MUST become illegal, as they limitate development, and human freedom.

Recently, three days ago, I have seen, in Italy, Richard Stallman
speaking of closed standard (word documents, but can be enlarged to all
other closed formats).

Briefly  he said : you must not use closed format files.
OK, I do, or at least I'll try, I hope all you do the same, so I think
the best thing in mplayer is mencoder, that can be used to convert from
closed format to open ones, then  mplayer becomes usefull. :)

Moreover Stallmans spoke of such unfair laws protecting the interest of
very few peoples and damaging all other people, he said there were some
laws in the USA that condammned some (black) people if they will try to
seat in front of a bus, that laws were WRONG , and every law concerning
(protecting) copyrights must be considered in the same way.

The discussion was longer and better argued, but I hope I have well
expressed (in my bad english) the case.

But I have said we must fight:

Who?
Closed Source and Closed Standards/Formats, Copyright.

How?
Open Source (it works!)
Creating/using/supporting (multimedia) Open Standards/Formats (ogg, xml
,etc)
NOT using rejecting closed formats (just kracking them).
We need some lawyers.
We need (HAVE) good programmers.

The first step in fighting closed source, the rest is coming (I hope).

P.S.
Stallmans attack to "the most dangerous man in the world", Bush, was
wonderfull!

gabor wrote:
> <rant>
> sorry, but i don't really understand people....
>
> IT IS GOOD NEWS!!! FINALLY I CAN WATCH SOME MOV FILES I WASN'T ABLE TO WATCH BEFORE!!!!!!
>
> yes, they are encoded with sorenson_video_1, and yes there are more sorenson_video_x versions...
>
> but what do really people want?
>
> do you think that if there would be support for sorenson2, sorenson3 then mplayer would be able to play everything? no, because anyone can create a video codec for windows, publish it on a webpage and create some videos with that... and now mplayer would have to find a way to implement that codec... it's an eternal job to support everything...
>
> of course open standards and especially standards help a lot..
> </rant>
>

> and about the sorenson_video_1... sorenson_video_2,3 isn't the only problem...
>
> for example my video trailers are encoded with QDM2 audio...
> ( www.qdesign.com ) and of course mplayer can't play it back..
>

> ok, sorry for being a bit rude, but i simply couldn't hold it back :-)
>
> bye,
> gabor
>
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 02:00:15 +0300
> "radus" <radus at rdsor.ro> wrote:
>

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hello!
>>Ahm as i understood there are more version of the Sorenson codec and
>>only ver. 1 was released .
>>This is still not a very good news, is it ?
>>
>>Radu

ciao
                                      albino