[MPlayer-users] xine and sorenson

Samuel Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Tue Jun 25 10:05:02 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Albino" <AlbinoNets at netscape.net>
To: <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] xine and sorenson

> Hi, good words gabor,
> but we need facts (we must fight): copyright, licencing , closed sounce
> etc... MUST become illegal, as they limitate development, and human
freedom.

I think the best way to fight them is to make them irrelevent.
Further xiph's recent offering of mpeg4 alternative:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/24/0041248&mode=thread&tid=162

may help to do this from the other side; if the closed-source codecs offer
only cost to the publisher.

To not play the closed formats means folk won't use mplayer; means
publishers won't know about mplayer.

Perhaps we'll get further lobbying publishers to demand open-source decoders
from their latest codecs.

> OK, I do, or at least I'll try, I hope all you do the same, so I think
> the best thing in mplayer is mencoder, that can be used to convert from
> closed format to open ones, then  mplayer becomes usefull. :)

It won't acheive your aim; folk will just run mencoder to start converting
(in real time) and then a minute later run mplayer on the growing file.
We'll just have more hoops to jump through and loose the ability to seek
halfway through right away.

> Moreover Stallmans spoke of such unfair laws protecting the interest of
> very few peoples and damaging all other people, he said there were some
> laws in the USA that condammned some (black) people if they will try to
> seat in front of a bus, that laws were WRONG , and every law concerning
> (protecting) copyrights must be considered in the same way.

Yeah; so lets make the laws irrelevant.

> The discussion was longer and better argued, but I hope I have well
> expressed (in my bad english) the case.
>
> But I have said we must fight:
>
> Who?
> Closed Source and Closed Standards/Formats, Copyright.
>
> How?
> Open Source (it works!)
> Creating/using/supporting (multimedia) Open Standards/Formats (ogg, xml
> ,etc)
> NOT using rejecting closed formats (just kracking them).

mmmmm... krack on demand?

Sam