[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Alexey Morozov morozov at novosoft.ru
Wed Jun 26 16:16:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 04:25:03PM +0300, Daniil V. Kolpakov wrote:
> > koi8-r encoding almost useless (w/o s/t converting). I have prepared
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Hey, aren't subtitles plaintext? Just convert them to koi8-r with
> iconv.
Well, it's a solution. Probably I should explain it to my wife :-)

P.S. But honestly I donna why we should prefer koi8-r to any other
cyrillic encoding. Its major advantage over all others stayed in
those dark ages of 7bit SMTP MTAs, and no much reason to keep it
alive nowadays. BTW CP1251 seems to be the most complete encoding w/
all those Ukrainian, Belorussian and other [west-slavic] cyrillic symbols.
It even has proper Number sign and double-quotes:-)

Topic: Arpi, how do you think, is MPlayer subtitle handling code
UTF8-clean?