[MPlayer-users] [slightly offtopic] encodings support in MPlayer

Daniil V. Kolpakov dan at vsi.gov.lv
Wed Jun 26 16:34:01 CEST 2002

??? ??? ????? - 26 ???? 2002 17:08, ? Alexey Morozov ?????:
> > Hey, aren't subtitles plaintext? Just convert them to koi8-r with
> > iconv.
>
> Well, it's a solution. Probably I should explain it to my wife :-)
>
> P.S. But honestly I donna why we should prefer koi8-r to any other
> cyrillic encoding. Its major advantage over all others stayed in
> those dark ages of 7bit SMTP MTAs, and no much reason to keep it
> alive nowadays. BTW CP1251 seems to be the most complete encoding w/

Cp1251 is Windows encoding. Making it default in Unix world is
nonsence. That was Microsoft, who made Cp866, then Cp2151 when there
was koi8-r available. Alphabetic letter order is not the case, since
more and more software are using Unicode internall.

> all those Ukrainian, Belorussian and other [west-slavic] cyrillic
> symbols. It even has proper Number sign and double-quotes:-)
>
> Topic: Arpi, how do you think, is MPlayer subtitle handling code
> UTF8-clean?

Probably mplayer should use unicode fonts and have a commandline switch
telling about subtitles encoding. A'rpi?

--
[dan at shinestar ~]$ ls -l /dev/brains
ls: /dev/brains: No such file or directory