[MPlayer-users] Final determination - Is brightness/contrast adjustment supported?

thekourier-mplayer at armitage.gotdns.com thekourier-mplayer at armitage.gotdns.com
Thu Jun 27 12:26:01 CEST 2002

   Well, I've RT'd the FM, read the docs and looked around the list
archives, but I can't seem to figure out if brightness/contrast adjustment
is supported or not.  It's not clear what codec or outputs are supported.

   I'm running 0.90pre5 under RedHat 2.4.18-3 with gcc 3.1.  I do not have
onboard video-out, rather I am using the VGA connector hooked up to a scan
converter, which converts the VGA signal to a TV input.   Video is onboard
Trident Cyberblade Generic w/8mb, on a ECS P6VEM2 (VIA chipset).  xvinfo
does show:

      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is -157)

   The OSD will show the brightness/contrast changing, but no change will be
visible.  I've tried using x11, xv, and dga outputs.  I'm not sure if this
only works on hardware TV out, or should work with anything.  I'm playing
DIVX 4/5 and MPEG1 files.  Typical command line:
 "mplayer -fs -framedrop -vo xv -osdlevel 1".  Anyone have definitive
knowledge of what situations brightness/contrast adjustment works in?
   Thanks for any help!  I appreciate everyone who works on mplayer and who
helps on the user boards.

   One thing I would like to suggest (and don't take this as a rant).  I've
noticed the tone of this mailing list is pretty hostile at times, what with
RTFM at the top of every message, gcc versions blacked out and rampant talk
of banning certain mail clients.  You can't subscribe from a hotmail
account, but nothing about that in the FAQ.
   I know developers are sick of responding to the same questions in the FAQ
and dealing with compiler quirks.  But newbies are going to be newbies.  Not
everyone here is a programmer, not everyone has a clue what ldconfig is or
does.  Yea yea, we should all learn, but IMHO this is the users list.
Rather than flame people for their lack of knowledge, let the newbs post
whatever they have questions with, and let the user community educate them
to read the FAQ or help with the same problems everyone runs into.  Leave
the developer's list for the hard core bugs and let the developers take a
break from dealing with the dumb questions.  Anyway, that's my take on it.
Just wish it was more of a friendly, community place.  Thanks to everyone
who helps make mplayer a success!