[MPlayer-users] I wrote a newbie-oriented article on how to compile/install MPlayer and would greatly appriciate comments

nico n at tourmentine.com
Thu Jun 27 13:16:01 CEST 2002

just a few ideas:

1) why don't you add a chapter about RPM installation, using urpmi for
exemple...using precompiled packages for a newbe is much easy, at least for
the data files (skins, fonts..).

2) I would add some worlds about the codec.conf file: MPlayer uses
~/.mplayer/codecs.conf by default, but when it installs only
/usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf is updated. Well, it's not a serious
problem since MPlayer tells you how to do that in case it doesn't find the
appropriate codec ;-)

3) you should add more option descriptions for the configure script; at least
the --help option should be useful for a newbe; and maybe the "--with-*-dir="
options, if the script doesnt find the libraries...

'hope this will help you..and if you're searching for a french translation of
your document I could do it with pleasure.
--
nico
icq#97902157
n at tourmentine.com