[MPlayer-users] Which default framerate?

GD Lewis gdltek1 at dfnow.com
Thu Jun 27 14:14:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 00:41, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 June 2002 23:39, GD Lewis wrote:
>
> > If the output is 23.98 fps, wouldn't I use -vfr 1 (24 fps), and if it is
> > 29.97 wouldn't I use option 4 (30 fps)?
>
> Right, my typo. Sorry for the confusion :)

NP! :-)

> > I'm not really well versed on the standards, is there some sort of
> > formula to determine which option is best suited to the indicated
> > framerate?
>
> For anything that was originaly shot on film you should use 23.98fps. And no,
> there's no magic switch to tell you if it was, except looking at the video of
> course (pulldown'd film jerks, video originaly shot at 30fps does not).
>
> Mplayer output _is_ the best way to find out. That is if whoever ripped/capped
> the clip knew what (s)he was doing. And even if he didn't you shouldn't be
> getting any audio sync problems, the picture just goes jerky because there
> will be duplicate frames in the stream (or rather some frames are shown for a
> longer time than the others). On an NTSC television you'll get this anyway I
> guess.

I wonder if this is what the issue is with a couple of AVI's that I
converted.  They are DVD rips and mplayer says that they are encoded at
around 25.0 fps, but when I convert them using the -vfr 3 option they
have bad synch right from the start (video runs ahead of sound).

Based on what you've said here, I wonder should I try them again using
the -vfr 2 (24.0 fps) option?  What do you think?

It wouldn't be such a hassle if it weren't for the fact that it takes
nearly 6 hours apeice to convert them! So these are some expensive
coasters timewise.

--
Grant D. Lewis

running Redhat Linux 7.3 "Valhalla" kernel 2.4.18-3 on a i686
"Those who define new paradigms for the world are often considered odd
at first"