[MPlayer-users] Which default framerate?

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Thu Jun 27 18:30:02 CEST 2002

On Thursday 27 June 2002 15:05, GD Lewis wrote:

> I wonder if this is what the issue is with a couple of AVI's that I
> converted.  They are DVD rips and mplayer says that they are encoded at
> around 25.0 fps, but when I convert them using the -vfr 3 option they
> have bad synch right from the start (video runs ahead of sound).

> Based on what you've said here, I wonder should I try them again using
> the -vfr 2 (24.0 fps) option?  What do you think?

If its in PAL you should really keep it that way. The resolution is better and
its smoother.

If the sync is consistently off for the whole clip you could try giving
'mplex' the '--sync-offset' flag accompanied with an appropriate value
(you'll have to experiment for what it is) when multiplexing the audio and
video streams.

Sure, there's a -sync flag in mencvcd too, but as I said you'll have to
experiment a bit to get it right --> if one encode takes whole 6 hours you
don't want to do it from there. Better get the audio and video encoded and
then glue them together with mplex yourself.