[MPlayer-users] Re: TV Capture and AVI editing - best practices

Bradley Alexander storm at tux.org
Sun Jun 30 05:07:01 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 18:58, steffen wrote:
> Am Samstag, 29. Juni 2002 22:28 schrieb mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu:
>
> > However, vcr gives me a very large (875MB/hr) DivX ;-) Low-Motion file,
> > which I then postprocess through a 3-pass mencoder DivX conversion.
> >

> Hmmm divx Low motion is a bad idea, it has a bad quality and is in a
> avi-format and if you want to cut you have to do this precise on a keyframe.
> I haven't much experience under Linux but have done this under win a lot
> before ..

I'm looking for alternative methods, right now it is just trial and
error (more error than trial). As long as I can

a) Set the channel, record times etc remotely,
b) use my bt848 capture card,
c) edit the commercials out
d) keep the output < 2GB (which I just learned the hard way tonight)

I am game to try about anything.