[MPlayer-users] mencoder+ntfs+divx

Jani Reinikainen jani at reinikainen.net
Fri Mar 1 18:40:02 CET 2002

Since I'm unlucky to own a nVIDIA GeForce, which capture features I
haven't gotten working under Linux, I have to do all my video capturing
in Windows. Now, I have a capture drive formatted to NTFS, since the
unpacked video files are often larger than 4gb. I mounted the drive in
Linux and tried to encode my capture to DivX using the command:

 mencoder capture.avi -divx4opts br=1800 -o /root/movie.avi -pass 1

Here is the output of ls -lh on my capture drive:
 -r--r--r--    1 root     disk     16998322176 Feb 24 21:32 capture.avi

and this is the output of mencoder:
-------------------------
MEncoder 0.60-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2001 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS!)

Reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/root/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf: 26 audio & 70 video codecs
CPU vendor name: GenuineIntel  max cpuid level: 2
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Type: 6, Stepping:
3)
Testing OS support for SSE... yes.
Testing OS support for SSE unmasked exceptions... yes.
Tests of OS support for SSE passed.
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Not an URL!
File not found: 'capture.avi'
Cannot open file/device
------------------------

When I try to play this capture file using mplayer, I get this:
[snip]
Linux RTC init: open: No such device
Using usleep() timing
Playing capture.avi
Not an URL!
File not found: 'capture.avi'

Exiting... (End of file)

Other smaller files in the same format on the same "capture" partition
play fine. This is Debian Linux Woody on a Pentium III 672MHz. What am I
doing wrong here? Any help on this would be greately appreciated. Thanks
in advance.