[MPlayer-users] vcd problems (new & relatively new)

Jukka Tastula jukka.tastula at kotinet.com
Sat Mar 23 19:36:02 CET 2002

On Saturday 23 March 2002 16:53, Attila Kinali wrote:

> > What more do you want?
> Anything that can help us.
> Try to find out where mplayer freeses.

Could this be a problem with the menus/scripts/stills on the video cd? Try
the svcd test image on vcdimager page for example, mplayer -vcd 1 hangs
(only ctrl-c helps if you play it with ffmpeg12, libmpeg12 seems to respond
to q still) after its flashed through the stills and the front menu (which
is the ugliest I've ever seen and looks even uglier on a TV as it shakes a
bit). But mplayer -vcd 2 plays the included video track from start to
finish with ffmpeg12 and libmpeg12 without a glitch.

The sound still worries me tho, as the codec seems to just merrily play
anything you throw at it and could cause some damage to one's hearing. Is
there no frame validity checking or something in any of the layer123 codecs
used in linux? I noticed the windows lib (l3codeca.acm) does something like
this (ie. recompressing the audio stream in windows virtualdub mp3->pcm
makes the offending frames go away and then the audio is safe to listen
again in linux too).