[MPlayer-users] [Bug Report] typo error in configure script

pl p_l at gmx.fr
Wed Mar 27 13:00:01 CET 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:57:01AM +0100, Jean-Louis Debert wrote:

> > > Yes I do (Mandrake 8.2). The correct device is /dev/sound/dsp
> >
> > Not mandatorily: it's not a typo.
> > Some system with devfs do have a /dev/sound/dspW and it's
> > correct too...
> >
> > Devfs users shouldconfigure their system to behave as if there were no
> > devfs indeed... (/dev/dsp should be mapped on
> > /dev/sound/<adequate dsp>)
>

> Ok, can do that. But then, the --enable-linux-devfs option is not to be used
> and doesn't make sense any more ??? should be mentioned somewhere in the
> FAQ?

Well... I meant it would be more useful that devfs users configure their
system since it would work for other non devfs aware soft. Besides I
don't think that many developers use it...

> Also, I didn't mention it before, it still works (with the /dev/sound/dspW
> which doesn't exist on my config) with -ao sdl   (probably because the
> sdl library has /dev/sound/dsp hardcoded). So, why not do it that way too ?

Which way ?

> Are there any devfs systems where you _don't_ have  /dev/sound/dsp  ???

I cannot say since I do not use devfs at all but the author of the
contributed patch (I don't remember his name) did have a dspW when he
was asked.

Maybe a plain dsp is more "portable" so dspW will probably be replaced
by dsp...

--
Best regards,
  pl